Saturday, March 6, 2010

Moment in the Sun


I have to compete in the reproduction market with all of the old Hatfield paper dumped in the 90's that was a result of giclees replacing silk screens.  Even so, I am getting good giclee sales from my site.  Many collectors like dealing directly with artists.  This occasions new friendships, and I believe it will be a common scenario as the economic slide continues.  I have never liked the marketing aspect of the art life, but one on one on the telephone is not so bad--I hate shows where you must schmooze with booze or a sale you will loose.   

5 comments:

  1. Don - I'm glad to learn that you are selling your originals and giclees from your website, and cutting out the gallery. The Still Voice was leading me in that direction almost three years ago and I began to learn and prepare for major selling through the internet. . .in spite of the negative comments from many friends. It's happening for me now (just a small speck compared to you) and it's good. At the risk of sounding foolish, and I'm not, I believe God is leading us.
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! We're supposed to SELL our art? Why does nobody tell me these things?

    No really, I think there is definitely a place for galleries, but it seems more and more buyers like "cutting out the middle man" and dealing directly with the artist. How do you ship such large works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to cut out the middle man. Any suggestions on how to do that? Is it possible to begin over the internet while still in galleries? Price becomes the biggest issue with both. How did you all deal with that? Don? Nora?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give the galleries their paintings and keep some for yourself to sell directly. The only problem is keeping the collectors straight--that's a trust issue. If your gallery doesn't trust you--then find one that does. I know it is often more complex than that--with all the gallery closures, we may have to sell our own stuff by default--now that would be fun! Remember--you are in business too--with bills to pay etc. Galleries often forget this when dealing with artists--they think you, the artist, should be grateful to be in their stable. This attitude is proving to be horse dung indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb: It cost about 2k to ship this to Texas! Big truck etc.

    ReplyDelete