Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Dad...you suck"

"Hatfield"--"I can't follow your line of teaching because your are an instinctual painter, whilst I need structure in order to paint--goodby, I don't need this crap anymore!"--or something like that.  I get this from artists who have had heavy illustration backgrounds and who come to me to "loosen up" or because they love my use of color.  They come, they see, they adore, they leave.  When they see how muddy I work in the early stages of the painting--they are confused.  When they see how sloppy my drawing is--they are befuddled.  When I preach the big mass approach--they are lost.  When I suggest that they hold off on the details--the final notes, accents, and color--until the very end of the process--they ignore me.   I am hearing echos from the past--from my years of parenting--"Dad, you suck."

I used to fanticize that I could take anybody with an IQ of 36-- who had at least one hand, one eye, and one ear--and make them a great oil painter.  I am told that I suffer from megalomania.  Maybe I am just too reductionistic or naive--or maybe I just have BO.   I seem to suffer from some stinking, incurable malady when it comes to things artistic.  One thing is certain--I have always believed that if I can get it, then anybody can get it--it is never a matter of talent--only a matter of love intersecting opportunity.  I am hearing what Anthony Hopkins said to Alec Baldwin--"...what one man can do--another can do."  Guess what--I believe this statement to be absolutely right!  O yes, this art thing is open to every man. Lets hear it gang!--WHAT ONE MAN CAN DO--ANOTHER CAN DO! This is true in oil painting more than we will ever admit.

I am not saying that anybody can be another John Singer Sargent or another Tiger Woods--what I am saying is that it is possible for every man to reach the height of potential that is granted him--if one does reach for that potential with great love for the process, for the journey--then he is a man (woman) to be admired for sure. As a teacher it is my job to provide the opportunity--it is the student's job to provide the love.  What distinguishes Tiger Woods ?--he loved it (golf) more than the rest.  Why did Sargent rise to such heights amongst his peers?--he loved it more that the rest.  I can prove this to anyone who wants to argue, but I don't have the energy to debate the obvious--so I will just beg the question and go on.

10 comments:

  1. Good words to read Don. I like it when I can read the trueth.
    I focus my love on many things. Sometimes I'm
    void of love altogether.
    When I am in love, it is a key to all doors.
    But when I'm not, I fall into despair.
    The enemy has been beating the crap out of me lately, my love must be a threat to him!
    God help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you speak the truth. But sometimes the truth sucks. Your blog is a great commercial--I'll keep coming as often as time, money, and energy allow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must keep coming--I will give you the time, money, and some energy pills--this is important!--your Buddy, Don

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill: Pray for deliverance from the enemy--we have a real enemy, and he wants us dead. "...for still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe--his craft and power are great and armed with cruel hate--on earth is not his equal--did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be loosing--were not the Right Man on our side, the Man of God's own choosing--dost ask who that may be--Christ Jesus, it is He--and He must win the battle.."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don, these are great words to read. Thank you for writing them and posting them and raising us up with them. I hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don, my comment below was for your post here and not for the next post.
    Nora

    Well, I say "Amen" to that!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don, I would take a class with you any day and never walk out.. even if you took a big rag and wiped out a whole day's efforts (that happened to me once). You not only have a great talent, but a great heart, and a wonderful ability to communicate. Plus, you're kinda funny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nora: Amen! Wish I knew ya better--you have a great spirit.

    ReplyDelete